Sales guru Geoffrey James has a great article up on Inc. "The best managers have a fundamentally different understanding of workplace, company and team dynamics," he says. "I learned that the 'best of the best,' tend to share the following eight core beliefs."
1. Business is an ecosystem, not a battlefield.
2. A company is a community, not a machine.
3. Management is service, not control.
4. My employees are my peers, not my children.
5. Motivation comes from vision, not from fear.
6. Change equals growth, not pain.
7. Technology offers empowerment, not automation.
8. Work should be fun, not mere toil.
I'm generally leery of lists that tend to confuse correlation with causation, but as principles, James really gets it. Don't stop with the list by itself; read his short article that gets right to the point: "Eight Core Beliefs of Extraordinary Bosses."